Parent Coaching / Counseling
You want to be a good parent. In fact you probably want to be the best parent you can be and have kids who are happy and grow up to be healthy, successful adults. Parenting can be one of the most rewarding as well as one of the most frustrating jobs ever. Continuing education is an important part of any job and that’s what parent coaching/counseling is; continuing education for the biggest, most important job of our lives.
Maybe your child’s personality, temperament or interests are very different from those of their siblings as well as your own. Perhaps they are anxious and behave in ways that keep them from doing the things they want or need to do and may even disrupt family life.
Even if you feel things are just fine it can be helpful to learn more about child development and age appropriate discipline and parenting strategies to ensure you develop a strong relationship with your child(ren) that will support them as they grow and create the type of attachment that will keep you connected – and less frustrated – even when they become teenagers. Read more about child development…
In addition to parenting challenges, you may also be co-parenting with a former spouse or partner. Read more about co-parent counseling…
Some Reasons to Seek Parent Coaching/Counseling
- Things have changed since you were a kid and you want to learn how to manage today’s parenting challenges effectively.
- Your child gets easily frustrated, needs things to be very predictable and gets upset when things change, or he needs to be “in charge,” struggles with imperfection or gets very upset by mistakes.
- You feel like you’re out of options – You’ve tried everything and don’t know what else to do
- You and your spouse/partner have different approaches and ideas about what works and what doesn’t
- You find yourself having the same argument over and over with your child and nothing seems to change
- You notice that what works with one child, doesn’t work with the other(s)
- You’re feeling stressed, frustrated and exhausted by the challenges of parenting.
- You know that the way you were raised wouldn’t work with your child and want to learn new skills
- You’ve read the parenting books and blogs, talked with friends and family and are struggling to apply conflicting information You understand that even when new parenting techniques are working, there are always bumps in the road. It’s easy to become discouraged and give up. Having someone to talk with keeps you moving forward
- You’re tired of having power struggles with your teen and would like to find ways to communicate more lovingly and effectively
- You’re worried about your child’s or teen’s self-esteem, response to peer pressure, anxiety or depression or school-related issues including learning differences.
- You’re worried your teen is experimenting or even regularly using substances or alcohol
- You would like support as your teen transitions to high school or college
You don’t have to go it alone. Together we’ll sort through what’s happening to help see the patterns and understand what may be maintaining problem behaviors and choices. You’ll also be role modeling the importance of seeking help as part of problem-solving. I help parents identify the messages and mistaken goals of behaviors and help find the solutions that are best for you and your family as well as gain positive parenting strategies that allow you to respond to parenting challenges differently with longer lasting results.
3468 Mt. Diablo Blvd, #B301 (Mail: #B201)
Lafayette, CA 94549